Saturday, January 23, 2021

Sinking

"When all around me is sinking sand, on Christ the Solid Rock I stand...." 

I look to my left and I'm stumbling 
I look to my right and I've been knocked back
I look down and I'm falling 
When I finally look up I see how far it is I've yet to go. 

The cycles of a hard life 
Up and down like a rollercoaster; 
Feeling unworthy to even feel 
What is there to grieve over 
When I'm still eating? 
Still healthy? 
Still clothed? 
Still fed? 
Still cared for? 
Still living? 

I battle it out every day 
With my own self 
Today, it is my worst enemy 

Last night I cried like a new born baby 
For what? 
I could not yet lay my finger on 
Not even to point at one particular reason 
There are many 

I don't often envision death: 
Understanding when hard times come 
When we are sinking through life 
Death, as an escape, is always a fleeting thought 

But, last night 
As I stared out of my window, 
Into the glow of the moon, 
Bouncing from waters 
Illuminating fountains 
That vision of loveliness 
Set to be taken in 
Its beauty absorbed 
Was not what I could see 
No, 
I saw a gun, 
Fully loaded 
Ready 
Pointed right at me

With the forefinger of my right hand 
Gripping the trigger 
It willfully pulled 

The rush of escape flooded all around me 
Fleeing in my last breath 
The tingle of freedom 
The moment of rescue from this 
This thing called life 
For a fraction of a minute 
I was okay with that 
A moment longer than fleeting 
Rested well with me 

But... 

Then a rush of pressure
Clamped down in my head 
The tears running freely down my cheeks
Alerted the sinuses within me 
They stood up & rebelled  
Tightening the ropes of revolt 
Against my nostrils 
Taking charge, and stealing away my air 

The pulse of my heart pounded 
An aching reminder 
Flowing through my system 
And into my eyes 
Reaching its destination 
At the center of my thoughts 

The throbbing wage of war 
Took full affect 
Convulsing through my limbs 
Taking over my body 
The song of battle stole my attention 
And I woke from my stupor of nothingness 
Suddenly reminded of my desire 
To catch hold of my breath 

I hurt.... 
But if death felt like this, 
I wanted no parts of it 
NO! 
I wanted to live! 
So, that's what I did

"When I need a shelter; when I need a friend, I go to The Rock." 


  photo provided by: www.stock.adobe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mama’s Advice

Picture provided by: cosmopolitanme.com   My Mama may have been right…..  But I won’t tell her though She warned me about you Loving you Let...