Monday, May 18, 2020

The Corona Chronicles (Transitioning)

 8 Tips to Successfully Transition from Intern to Employee


As I sit here now, my heart is full. I am witnessing both of my sons transition from boys to men, and it is an amazing sight to see. My youngest son is about to be apart of the graduating class of 2020.   This will be the first graduating class I can remember not being able to enjoy a prom, ceremony, or celebration with a room full of family and friends. For my youngest, this particular time in history is yet another thing which makes him special.  He was born on September 11th, 2001 while our nation was being attacked by Al-Qaeda, who were set on destroying our country by killing its citizens.  Now he graduates high school at a time when our country is being attacked by a virus, set on destroying as many lives as it gets ahold of.

Many have considered finally taking the leap, and starting a new career. I'll admit, I was one of those.  Since "the world" seemed to be closed, now seemed as good a time as any to look into a career which would actually make me happy, and be a joy to come back to daily.  My resume' was updated, and so was my LinkedIn. I was even making steps to reach out to recruiters until I had a meeting with my boss, and he told me how valuable I was, and how the company's growth depended on my presence.  Finally! I had gotten the appreciation I had been hungry for. We even discussed the possibility of a raise in the near future.

ABC News says that once the country has fully opened up, the divorce rate is expected to skyrocket. Married people are fully anticipating transitioning into singlehood when all is said and done. The only thing possibly holding them back now is the fact that the court houses are closed, but when the restrictions are lifted, family law attorney Robert Segal expects a "deluge of divorce cases." It seems when some couples have to deal with each other on a day-in-day-out basis, they actually don't seem to like who they're living with. The thought of this is so sad, and begs to wonder why two people who pledged to be together until death can't even share the same space for a prolonged period of time. I'll admit that my husband and I could have been apart of the statistic BEFORE the quarantine. We've been married for 21 years, and the pressures of life can pull people apart. But, for some reason, times of trials, and sticky situations always bring us closer together. In January, I was ready to give up, but today, I am glad we are trying. Today, we are winning.

This weekend one of my dearest friends lost her baby sister suddenly. She was only in her 30s, and no one knows yet, the cause until the autopsy is performed. Last week my mother-in-law lost her older brother, and her other brother lost his wife; both to cancer.  I have no idea how to form the words to comfort these people whom I love, but what I will do is be there for them. My sorority sister, who was set to graduate from Jackson State University this year was killed. As the story goes, because this is not the first time we've seen women die under these circumstances, she had a boyfriend who became an ex-boyfriend, and then a stalker, abuser, and finally her killer.  All of these people have transitioned from life to death, and all of their loved ones are left to figure out how in the world they will bury them during a time with so many restrictions that a simple burial can become a big ordeal.  Its a heavy burden to bear.

This transitioning thing is not easy.  As a matter-of-fact it can be overwhelming, adding stress to an already pressure-filled situation.  There is no absolute way to transition. Nobody wrote a play book on it. We just have to learn to endure the change, and hopefully come through it stronger.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mama’s Advice

Picture provided by: cosmopolitanme.com   My Mama may have been right…..  But I won’t tell her though She warned me about you Loving you Let...