Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Marriage

I think people now-a-days think that marriage is just a faze you go through in life. None of them seem to take it as seriously as God intended it to be. We forget how marriage is supposed to be a sacred vow made before God, and to Him and your spouse. If we can't honor the vows we make to God, then what kind of foundation is the unity between two people based on?
When I look today at how "Hollywood" portrays marriage, or how influential people like politicians are facing the crumbling sanctity of their once happy union, all I can do is shake my head at how dreadful this world has become. Instead of a 'til death do us part' some want to add clauses that include, 'until we fall out of love, or I find someone better, ie: Swizz Beats and Alicia Keys, Antuan Cook and Fantasia Barrino.

In no way am I judging these people, because I feel that I am in no position to, but their situations were just sad. It hurts me to see a marriage break apart, especially under such controversy. I recently watched an interview E! News held with Swizz Beats where the reporter asked him how he felt about his life as a newly wed with a baby on the way. He described how he finally felt happy and every thing was great. Of course every thing is great in the beginning. Its the beginning!! But how in the world did he think that made the wife and child he left behind feel? Abandoned? Lost? Confused?

There was a letter posted on the internet where the wife of Swizz Beats explained how she had felt blind-sided by his sudden departure from the marriage. She wasn't bitter, she wasn't vindictive, but she was very hurt that her husband, who seemed to be living a double life, would leave her no indication that their marriage was over while carrying on with Ms. Keys, a woman whom she highly respected and had been introduced to through her husband. That was a cold thing to do, and while I still very much like Alicia Keys, her talent, and her music, I have to say that no matter how I tried, I lost respect for her when I learned how she played a part in the break up of a marriage.

No matter how many excuses we may want to use to break up a marriage, or to get out of one, the truth of the matter is; the fault of the dissolution falls right on the shoulders of the person staring back at you in the mirror. Fantasia is no exception. Yes, she had a hard life. Yes, she says the man told her that he was separated from his wife. Yes, he may look nice. There could be a thousand yeses, but it only took one NO to stop all of the controversy going on in her life now. That would be the no she should have told him as soon as she found out he was married. Separated or not, wait until after the divorce, then there would be no need for accountability. I'm sorry to say it, because I love Fantasia and her music, but she played a part in the drama as soon as she decided to be in that married man's life.

I pray that one day the world will realize how serious the vows we make to be apart of someone else's life are, and do every thing within their might to make it work. When you run out of strength God always has an extra portion. When you feel that you can't go on, God pulls out the encouragement you thought was all wiped out, because He never puts more on us than we can bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mama’s Advice

Picture provided by: cosmopolitanme.com   My Mama may have been right…..  But I won’t tell her though She warned me about you Loving you Let...