Friday, May 20, 2016

Guns and Violence

On the drive in to school this morning, my sons and I had a conversation about gun violence among the nation's police force.  My solution has always been to take away guns from every one, even law enforcement agencies.  The logic behind it being that if fire arms aren't so easily accessible, then the chances of innocent people being killed will decrease.

It was only when my youngest son made the suggestion that the S.W.A.T. team should be the only group allowed to have guns because they are the ones you call on when circumstances are serious enough, that I began to reconsider my solution.

Members of a department's S.W.A.T unit have to already meet meticulous minimal requirements in order to even be considered. They also have to undergo psychological evaluations to see if they are mentally prepared for the commitment to the job;  advanced tactical training in firearms to build on their skills for a more precise aim; and meet strict regulations set about by authorities.

My son's reasoning for making fire arms available and accessible to this particular unit of people was to provide protection in the case of a bomb threat, or terrorist attack,. With those out there who make demented plans to harm others, and have the mental capabilities to design and build their own homemade bombs, the nation will need this type of protection. It will provide a greater sense of security knowing we have highly trained officers such as those on the S.W.A.T. team to have our backs.

My son also mentioned how, if an officer were to kill someone, especially the innocent, their punishment should be just as severe as those who were to kill an officer of the law.  Being that we're all citizens with (so-called) equal rights, I can only see this as a fair analogy.

If it were up to me, I would remove guns from every law enforcement office, home, and high court in the world.  It would be a better, and more safe place to live without them.  But since that is next to impossible, I say we should take time and listen to the advice of some of our youth.  "Out of the mouths of babes" can come wise counsel for those who take the time to listen.

*For more on guns and violence in the between police and the minority community, please read my next blog: Black Lives Matter.

photo courtesy of: https://sites.google.com/a/nvusd.org/change-makers-guns-and-violence/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mama’s Advice

Picture provided by: cosmopolitanme.com   My Mama may have been right…..  But I won’t tell her though She warned me about you Loving you Let...